This week’s action step, as part of the disaster preparation series, is to find out how to help protect your home against natural disasters.
As part of your regular maintenance and property upkeep routine, it pays to take steps to help protect your home against damage during storms or other natural disasters.
Of course, there are times that no matter what we do or how much we prepare, nature will wend its destructive path, which is why having adequate insurance is important.
But if you can prevent or minimise the damage done to your home, then you will save money, reduce inconvenience and hopefully prevent the devastation of being displaced.
Below is a list of resources that explain how to prepare your home for various possible disasters that occur in Australia.
Preparing your home for bushfire season
- VIC Government – Prepare your property
- ABC Interview with Adelaide CFS Director Leigh Miller
- QLD Government – Prepare your home
Preparing your home for cyclone and storm season
- NSW SES tropical cyclone preparation advice
- Emergency QLD – prepare your home for cyclones
- Be prepared for cyclones
Preparing your home for flooding
- WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services – Prepare for flooding
- VIC SES – Flood Safe
- American reference, but good tips Preparing a home that will be flooded
Preparing your home for earthquakes
Do you take steps to prepare your home for relevant natural disasters?