Start the day off on the right foot with this easy Bircher Muesli recipe. A super quick and easy twist on an old classic, this recipe cheap and jam-packed full of healthy goodness.
Traditional Bircher Muesli includes grated apple. This alternative is a little quicker to prepare. Also, if you want to make this on Sunday night so that you have an easy breakfast in the fridge for the week, grated apple can go a bit brown.
However, get all the goodness of fresh fruit by serving your muesli topped with it.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup of yoghurt
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1 – 2 Tbsp. ground linseed (flaxseed)
- Fruit, nuts, seeds and spices to serve
- In a container with a lid, mix together oats, juice, yoghurt and sultanas and place in the fridge overnight. (This makes the sultanas swell and become juicy. Add them later if you prefer them dry.)
- Add remaining ingredients before serving. Except for fresh fruit, I usually just add everything else the next morning. Seeds and dried fruit will go a bit soggy by the end of the week, so if you prefer, add them separately every day.
- The variety is limited to your taste, imagination and the season. Try a combination of nuts, seeds, dried fruit and fresh seasonal fruit. The yoghurt that you choose will also change the taste of the muesli. Try a drizzle of honey for sweetness, grated coconut or tinned fruit. Add cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom for a delicious alternative.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information is calculated automatically using the Nutritionix database. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, serving size or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.