Our corner of Queensland has a few common food crops, pineapple and ginger are just two of them. So what better combo for a refreshing summer drink.
- 1 large ripe pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 5 cm of ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- Process pineapple in a food processor in batches until a smooth puree
- Place water, sugar and ginger in a large saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pineapple puree, bring back to the boil, then simmer for another 2 minutes or so.
- Strain mixture into a clean bottle, discarding pulp and ginger. Press pulp with the back of a spoon to get all the juice out.
This makes about 1 litre.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 0g
Nutritional information is calculated automatically using the Nutritionix database. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, serving size or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Serve with water or soda water. This cordial isn’t as sweet as commercial cordials, so add a generous amount to the glass. I imagine that this would also be nice with a splash of white rum and a few ice cubes and soda water, maybe a few mint leaves!
Melissa Goodwin has been writing about frugal living for 10+ year but has been saving her pennies since she first got pocket money. Prior to writing about frugal living, Melissa worked as an accountant. As well as a diploma of accounting, Melissa has an honours degree in humanities including writing and research and she studied to be a teacher and loves sharing the things that she has learned and helping others to achieve their goals. She has been preparing all her life to write about frugal living skills.