There’s nothing like cake with vegetables in it to make us feel like we’re not being so naughty.
It’s still cake, despite the veggies, but the added greens take the edge off the guilt, right?
Although this cake isn’t too indulgent, and the sugar quantity can be reduced if you prefer.
It is a good way to get extra veg into kids, which is what I tell myself when I’m loading up school lunchboxes.
Speaking of which, this recipe makes two loaves – one for this week and one for the freezer, making next week’s morning teas oh so much easier.
After cooking the first loaf, I add in a couple of tablespoons of cocoa to the remaining cake mix for some chocolaty variety.
The cake mix will seem very stiff and dry as you mix it, but the zucchinis will add moisture to the mix, so don’t squeeze out the grated zucchini.
While this cake is a nice addition to lunchboxes, it is particularly nice toasted and served with butter.
- 3 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mild flavoured oil
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla essence
- 2 cups of grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease two loaf tins.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, spices, baking powder and soda and sugar) in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining wet ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry, combining well.
- Pour into prepared loaf tins and cook for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. Cool in pan before turning out.
- Slice to serve. It’s easier to slice once cool. Can be toasted and served with butter.
If you only have one loaf tin, cook in batches.
Macadamia nut oil gives the loaf a lovely nutty flavour.
For a dairy-free option, replace the yoghurt with 1/2 cup oil.
Variations include a few tablespoons of cocoa for a choc zucchini loaf, chopped nuts, choc chips or blueberries.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 6gSugar: 27gProtein: 9g
Nutritional information is calculated automatically using the Nutritionix database. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, serving size or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.