These little cakes are dense and moist, more of a dessert cake than a morning tea cake. I usually make one large cake, but because they are so moist, it can take a long time to cook, so mini cakes cut the cooking time.
Any berries will do: raspberries, blueberries or in this case mixed frozen berries. Alternatively, use fresh berries if you can.
- 125g butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 cup of frozen berries
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F). Grease 12 muffin holes or standard cake tin.
- Cream butter. Add sugar and vanilla and beat well.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Add sifted flour and mix well, then add the sour cream and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Fold in berries.
- Spoon into muffin holes, filling 3/4 of the way. Alternatively, spoon into the prepared cake tin. Bake muffin-sized cakes for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through, or cake for 40 minutes to 1 hour until golden and cooked through.
- Invert, cool and dust with icing sugar to serve.
To prevent the berries from sinking as the cakes cook, dust them in a little flour before adding to the mix.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is calculated automatically using the Nutritionix database. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, serving size or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.