This creamy chicken breast and vegetable recipe is a homemade simmer sauce take off. Healthy with lots of flavour and made from 100% real food.
Simmer sauces that you buy in the supermarket are convenient and they can be cheap as well, especially when on sale.
But while they are convenient, you get all sorts of additives that you don’t get when cooking from scratch.
What’s more, your from-scratch sauce is going to taste waaaay better and it actually doesn’t take that much more time than pouring in a jar of sauce.
This recipe uses one chicken breast, stretching a little bit of meat to feed four. It’s bulked up with lots of healthy vegetables and served with a side of filling rice (in our case, basmati rice).
You can switch out the vegetables you don’t have for ones you do. Alternatives might be green beans, finely sliced cabbage, just wilted spinach leaves, or bok choy.
If you want to double this and freeze it, portion and freeze before adding the cream.
To make food prep easier, check out: how to prepare capsicum.
Looking for more one-breast chicken meals that feed a family? Check out the One Breast Chicken and Vegetable Pie recipe.
- 1 chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, cut into batons
- 1 zucchini, into batons
- 1/2 red capsicum, cut into strips
- a handful or two of mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme
- 1-2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 cup of chicken stock (250 ml)
- 1 tsp of cornflour
- 1/4 cup of cream or 1-2 Tbsp. sour cream
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chickens trips and cook for a couple of minutes until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to pan and cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until softened. Add vegetables and garlic and continue to cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, mustard, 3/4 cup chicken stock and chicken strips to the pan. Cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes until vegetables and chicken are cooked through.
- Stir the cornflour into the remaining 1/4 cup stock and add to the pan. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add cream, stir and heat through. Alternatively, add a tablespoon of sour cream, stir and heat through.
- Serve with rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 192mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 13g
Nutritional information is calculated automatically using the Nutritionix database. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, serving size or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.