These zucchini and sweet potato fritters are great for a light dinner or lunch. Tasty and healthy.
I have normal kids.
Like most kids, they don’t like eating their vegetables.
Especially the three-year-old.
And like most mums, I’m getting pretty good at sneaking vegetables in.
I do have a few vegetarian meals that the kids will eat and fritters are one of those dishes.
Maybe it’s because the vegetables are grated. I don’t know why, but my children can do vegetables without all the moaning and complaining if they’re grated. And that must be a common thing as the Vegie Smugglers book is practically founded on grated vegetables.
But these fritters aren’t just for kids.
With the herbs and the garlic, they also make a very adult meal.
But still a very cheap and healthy meal!
Save time by not peeling the sweet potato – sweet potato skin is delicious and very nutritious.
I like to use Panko breadcrumbs to bind the fritters. Most recipes use flour, but the breadcrumbs give the fritters a crisp texture, rather than the traditional fluffy pancake texture. For a gluten-free alternative, almond meal also works well.
We often like to ‘load’ our fritters with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh toppings like chopped avocado, chopped fresh tomato, fresh coriander and for me – I like things a little fiery – some jalapeno peppers.
- 3 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 small sweet potato, grated
- 2 small green onions (shallots), finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. herbs according to taste (we like thyme or oregano or mixed herbs)
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, for frying
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium-hot heat.
- Squeeze the extra liquid out of the grated zucchini and sweet potato and place in a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot pan and fry on each side until golden.
- Serve hot with your favourite toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information is calculated automatically using the Nutritionix database. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, serving size or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.