Another risotto dish, another asparagus dish. Cheap and tasty. Leave out the chicken to make this a vegetarian dish. I love asparagus season and try to cook with it as much as possible while it’s fresh and cheap.
- 300g fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 chicken breast, sliced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups of arborio rice
- zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 litres vegetable stock, warmed (or use chicken)
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated or more to taste
- Steam asparagus until just tender. Set aside.
- Brown chicken in batches over high heat until just cooked through. Set aside with asparagus.
- Heat a little olive oil or butter in a saucepan and sauté onion over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a further minute. Stir in rice so that it is coated with the oil.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice until absorbed. Add the stock, a ladle at a time and stir through until absorbed. Continue to do this until the rice is al dente or cooked to your liking. You may need more or less stock.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese. Season to taste, then gently stir in the chicken and asparagus before serving.
For a vegetarian version, leave out the chicken and add extra vegetables. Use vegetable stock.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 1593mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 16g
Nutritional information is calculated automatically using the Nutritionix database. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, serving size or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.