Another risotto dish, another asparagus dish. Cheap and tasty. Leave out the chicken to make this a vegetarian dish. I love asparagus season and try to cook with it as much as possible while it’s fresh and cheap.
1 bunch of fresh asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 chicken breast, sliced (leave out for a vegetarian version)
a handful of mushrooms (optional)
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
3/4 cup rice
zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
500mls warmed chicken or vegetable stock
drizzle of cream (optional)
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- Steam asparagus until just tender. Set aside.
- Brown chicken in batches over high heat until just cooked through. Set aside with asparagus.
- Heat a little olive oil or butter in a saucepan and sauté onion over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook for a further minute. Stir in rice so that it is coated with the oil.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice until absorbed. Add the stock, a ladle at a time and stir through until absorbed. Continue to do this until the rice is al dente or cooked to your liking. You may need more or less stock.
- Add the cream if using and stir in the parmesan cheese. Season to taste, then gently stir in the chicken and asparagus before serving. Serves 2-3.
Melissa Goodwin is a writer and the creator of Frugal and Thriving who has a passion for living frugally and encouraging people to thrive on any budget. The blog is nine years old and is almost like her eldest baby. Prior to being a blogger and mum (but not a mummy blogger), she worked as an accountant doing other people’s budgets, books and tax.