This is a basic grilled or pan-fried chicken breast with a little difference – topped with cheesy potato rather than having the spuds served on the side.
This dish is nice with a salad, or a side of steamed vegetables. The bonus of using vegetables is that you can add them to any leftover potato mixture for bubble and squeak the next day (just fry the mixture in a little butter like fritters).
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped (or use chives)
- 1/2 cup of tasty cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- Boil or steam whole potatoes until almost tender Cool and grate.
- Meanwhile, halve the chicken breasts horizontally so that you have two fillets or schnitzels. Lightly hammer or roll to flatten.
- Combine potato, onion, cheese, egg and chives.
- Fry chicken in a little oil until brown on both sides until cooked through or grill under the griller/broiler until cooked. Place on a tray and top with the potato mixture.
- Grill/broil under a medium-hot grill/broiler until potato mixture is browned and cooked through (about 5 – 10 minutes).
Serve with a side salad or steamed vegetables.
Swap the potato for sweet potato for a lower-carb alternative.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g
Nutritional information is calculated automatically using the Nutritionix database. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, serving size or the source of nutrition data. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.